Small Business Basic
Enhance your employment prospects with this online short course.
- Business owner
AOT’s small business basic course will give you the foundation skills and knowledge to enable you to plan your business, apply for an Australian Business Number (ABN) and understand tax legislation for goods and services. Additionally, you will also learn how to approach a financial institution to establish your start up finances, understand the risk management requirements and comply with legal requirements.
At AOT, we provide you with full access to our online virtual company to assist you to complete this short course.
To understand what each unit within this course offers, and how each furnishes you with specific skills and knowledge that you will accomplish to achieve competency, click on the Units of Study tab above.
This is a thorough short course which provides you with hands-on skills and knowledge to take those first steps in setting up your new business venture. You will receive a Statement of Attainment in partial completion of the BSB42615 Certificate IV in New Small Business. This short course may provide you with the motivation and confidence to complete the entire Certificate IV qualification so that you open your new business fully informed.
You may use some or each of the two units to credit transfer towards several qualifications. At AOT these include:
- BSB42615 Certificate IV in New Small Business
- BSB40515 Certificate IV in Business Administration
- BSB40215 Certificate IV in Business
- BSB41015 Certificate IV in Human Resources
- BSB41515 Certificate IV in Project Management Practice
Talk to our course advisor for more information on credit transfer rules and the qualification that will best suit your needs.
How long does the course take?
We provide you with three (3) months to complete this course, how long it actually takes, will be reflective of the time you are able to dedicate to your studies.
This course could be completed with 15 – 20 hours of study per unit, it may take you less time, it may take you more, that is why we give you three (3) months and all the support you need. The rest is up to you!
Choosing to study online allows you to study at a pace that suits your lifestyle.
Units of study | You are required to complete 2 units of study for the Small Business Basic Short Course
Upon successful completion of this unit, you will:
- demonstrate a systematic approach to identifying, managing and meeting legal and regulatory requirements, specifically in regard to WHS, business registration and environmental requirements
- ensure compliance, by:
- following taxation and industrial relations principles
- updating and maintaining legal documents
- investigating areas of non-compliance
- monitoring provision of products and services
- taking corrective action where necessary
- negotiate and arrange contracts, including:
- seeking legal advice
- investigating procurement rights
- identifying options of leasing or ownership of business premises
- identify, assess and treat risks specific to the business including:
- prioritising risks with highest probability of occurrence and greatest negative impact on the business
- identifying insurance requirements
Demonstrate knowledge of:
- business registration and licensing requirements
- government legislative requirements relating to the specific business operation
- creation and termination of relevant legal contracts
- relevant cultural differences and legal implications
- legal rights and obligations of alternative ownership structures
- record keeping to meet minimum legal and taxation requirements
- relevant consumer legislation and industry codes of practice
- key steps in the risk management process
- relevant insurance requirements and products
Upon successful completion of this unit, you will:
- develop a business plan which provides for finance, marketing and provision of products or services to facilitate all business goals and objectives
- identify and plan all work health and safety (WHS) and duty of care responsibilities
- identify and assess internal and external risks to the business
- develop risk management strategies including a contingency plan for non-conformance
Demonstrate knowledge of:
- government legislative requirements relating to business operation, especially in regard to WHS and environmental issues, equal employment opportunity, industrial relations and anti-discrimination
- methods of evaluation
- WHS responsibilities and procedures for identifying hazards relevant to the business
- planning processes
- preparation of a business plan
- principles of risk management relevant to small business planning
- common risks particular to the small business type or industry
- reasons for, and benefits of, business planning
- relevant industry codes of practice
- setting goals and objectives
- types of business planning - feasibility studies; strategic, operational, financial and marketing planning
Support you can expect from AOT
The benefits of studying with AOT is that you do not have to schedule your time to attend a face to face classroom. You can study at times convenient to you in your own home.
To support you in your study we provide:
- Personal course induction - A Student Support Officer will personally take you through the sauceLMS and your course.
- Simulated/virtual company - Full use of our very own virtual company that provides you with a simulated workplace based on current industry practises.
- Live chat - Instant support available by a trainer whilst you are studying 7am - 9pm AEST (Mon - Fri), 9am - 1pm AEST (Sat - Sun).
- Contact us form - Contact us at any time using the 'Contact us form' found within your course to create support tickets.
- Mentoring sessions - You can book an appointment with your personal trainer to discuss the learning material, assessment expectations, or assessment feedback.
- Virtual Classroom sessions - booked with your trainer for specific assessments
- Contact from AOT through email and calls just to touch base with you.
- Detailed assessment feedback.
- Additional research material - Links within your course which takes you directly to additional research material.
You are not alone in your study with AOT!
There are no formal requirements for this qualification, however learners will need:
- Sufficient language, literacy and numeracy skills to complete the course
- Basic computer skills
- Knowledge of common computing terms and word processing
- Proficiency with web browser software and sending/receiving e-mail including e-mail with attached
- Familiarity with navigating the Internet
- Meet technical requirements
- Operating System: Windows 7 or higher (recommended) / MAC OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or higher (recommended)
- CPU: minimum of 512 MB of RAM, minimum of 2 GB of spare disk space is recommended
- Monitor with at least 1024 x 768 screen resolution
- Internet access: Minimum ADSL1 with a speed of at least 1.5Mbps
- Valid personal email address
- Sound card
- A headset or microphone and speakers
- Access to a webcam, photocopier, printer & scanner
- The latest version of Java, QuickTime, Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash Player
- Word processing software e.g. Microsoft Office
- Up-to-date web browser version e.g. Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox or Safari
You Pay Only:
- No additional fees
- No course material cost
- 100% trainer support
Delivery mode: 100% online, no classroom attendance
Trainer support: One-on-one
Support hours: 7am - 9pm AEST (Mon - Fri), 9am - 1pm AEST (Sat - Sun)
Learning and assessment options: Your workplace or our virtual company as your simulated workplace
Assessments marked: Within 5 business days
Having trouble deciding?
Have a look at our courses for yourself by requesting a Free Live Demonstration today.Request a Free Live Demo
Live Chat with a course advisor
If you need any more information or have some questions, try a live chat with one of AOT's course Advisors.