Experience is important but your character, attitude, motivation, ideas, and work ethics are important factors that can show if you can perform the job well. You can focus on your positive qualities and highlight your soft skills. Soft skills are not knowledge-specific skills that you need for the job. Examples of soft skills are communication skills, listening skills, time management, and people skills, among others.
Do voluntary work or internship
To gain the experience you need to land jobs, try to do voluntary work or apply for an internship. Working for cheap or for free to get work experience and new skills – think of it as an investment. A few months or more of voluntary work can count as work experience in your resume. Internships may also lead to getting a full-time position or open up other opportunities for you to advance your career.
AOT Student Support
- Live chat – Chat support available with a trainer when you log into sauceLMS from 7am – 9pm AEST (Mon – Fri)
- Student FAQs – Find the answers to commonly asked questions.
- Contact us form – Contact us at any time using the online form to lodge support tickets.
- Help & Support – You will find many useful links in this section of the sauceLMS.
- Mentoring sessions – You may book sessions with your trainer in the virtual classroom.
Enrol in a career short course or qualification
Further education can add points to your resume. Earning a qualification or completing a short course related to the career or job you are seeking shows commitment and dedication to your professional development. Hiring companies will see this as a sign that you’re motivated and up for the challenge. Remember, it may be challenging to get a job without experience, but it can be done with the right mindset, confidence and motivation.