This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to manage the performance of staff who report to them directly. Development of key result areas and key performance indicators and standards, coupled with regular and timely coaching and feedback, provide the basis for performance management.
It applies to individuals who manage people. It covers work allocation and the methods to review performance, reward excellence and provide feedback where there is a need for improvement.
The unit makes the link between performance management and performance development, and reinforces both functions as a key requirement for effective managers.
- Allocate work
- Assess performance
- Provide feedback
- Manage follow up
Upon successful completion of this unit, you will:
- consult with relevant stakeholders to identify work requirements, performance standards and agreed performance indicators
- develop work plans and allocate work to achieve outcomes efficiently and within organisational and legal requirements
- monitor, evaluate and provide feedback on performance and provide coaching or training, as needed
- reinforce excellence in performance through recognition and continuous feedback
- seek assistance from human resources specialists where appropriate
- keep records and documentation in accordance with the organisational performance management system
Demonstrate knowledge of:
- relevant legislative and regulatory requirements
- relevant awards and certified agreements
- performance measurement systems utilised within the organisation
- unlawful dismissal rules and due process
- staff development options and information
Nominal Hours: 70