This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to develop and implement workplace sustainability policies and to modify the policy to suit changed circumstances.
The unit applies to individuals with managerial responsibilities who undertake work developing approaches to create, monitor and improve strategies and policies within workplaces. These individuals also engage with a range of relevant stakeholders and specialists.
‘Sustainability’ in this unit refers to a broad approach that focuses on the minimisation of an organisation’s social, economic and environmental impact, as well as proactive value creation in these areas.
- Prepare workplace sustainability policies
- Implement workplace sustainability policies
- Review implementation of workplace sustainability policies
Upon successful completion of this unit, you will:
- Develop and implement workplace policies and procedures for sustainability on at least one occasion, including:
- implementing sustainability policy and procedures into wider organisational policies and procedures
- consulting and communicating with relevant stakeholders to generate engagement with sustainability policy development, implementation and continuous improvement.
Demonstrate knowledge of:
- Australian and international standards relating to corporate sustainability
- Environmental and sustainability legislation, regulations and codes of practice applicable to organisation
- Internal and external sources of information and their use in planning and developing organisational sustainability policies and procedures
- Elements required for the development of organisational sustainability policies and processes including:
- agreed outcomes of the policy and procedures
- policy timeframes and costs
- performance indicators
- activities to be undertaken
- assigned responsibilities
- record keeping, review and improvement processes
- common sustainability issues with organisational systems and procedures
- Typical barriers to implementing policies and procedures in an organisation and possible strategies to address them.
Nominal hours = 50 hours