This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to manage employee and industrial relations matters in an organisation. It involves developing and implementing employee and industrial relations policies and plans and managing conflict resolution negotiations.
It applies to those who are authorised to oversee industrial relations and manage conflict and grievances in an organisation. They will have a sound theoretical knowledge base in human resources management and industrial relations as well as current knowledge of industrial relations trends and legislation.
- Develop employee and industrial relations policies and plans
- Implement employee relations policies and plans
- Manage negotiations to resolve conflict
Upon successful completion of this unit, you will:
- analyse organisational documentation to determine long-term employee relations objectives and current employee relations performance
- collaborate with others to develop and review industrial relations policies and plans
- develop implementation and contingency plans for industrial relations policies
- identify the skills and knowledge needed to implement the plan and organise training and development for self and staff
- document and communicate strategies and procedures for eliminating and dealing with grievances and disputes
- train others in conflict-resolution techniques
- manage industrial relations conflicts, including advocating the organisation’s position during negotiations and documenting, implementing and following up agreements.
Demonstrate knowledge of:
- relevant industrial relations legislation or regulations
- enterprise and workplace bargaining processes
- relevant entities in the current Australian industrial relations system, including courts and tribunals, trade unions and employer bodies
- key sources of expert industrial relations advice
- relevant organisational policies and procedures
- organisational objectives.
Nominal Hours: 80